Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Book Review: The Paradox of Choice by Barry Schwartz

It has been a while I have started to read this book, but never really finished it. I ended last week the reading of the book. The concept of the book is to explain all the different component of choice making, and also to see how our new world, where we have more and more choice, is actually making it more difficult to choose.

Indeed, the more the options you have, the harder the decision will be, and higher the percentage of chances of regrets you may get from not selecting the other solutions. 

As I have said several times on this blog, my classes in Oswego about Customer behavior, and the shopper's decision making process where key in my will to work in the marketing and customer relationship management part. Therefore I found in this book a lot of components of what I learned at that time.

It is difficult to give you in a single blog post all the interesting insights of the book, but in overall, it is quite fast to read, and well documented with a lot of examples. What is also great about the book, it is that they give you the good process in decision making you should implement in order to make the right decisions.

In our nowadays society where information is everywhere, and the options so numerous, decision making is one of the master key to succeed in life. Therefore, you should have a look at the book, that explains clearly what to take into consideration and when.

Here is a great video showing you some of the enlightment I found in the book, held at a Ted event.