Thursday, September 11, 2008

Why I don't use video for this blog and what I think is a good use of video blogging

video blogging You have probably noticed that this blog is 99% text. I sometimes use video content, of commercials I find interesting, or interviews, but I never record videos of myself. There are two main reasons for that:
  • First of all, I must admit that I am not probably properly equiped. I have an old webcam, with a poor mike. I have already experienced some problems when I started to use Seesmic. Loic Lemeur even told me that I needed to buy a specific mike in order to provide better videos. But so far I still have not bought any new webcam. I even uninstall mine, because I was not using it...
  • Secondly, I don't use videos because of their lack of search engine optimization skills. Google don't really value videos much in its web browser. Text is still king, and if I want to recruit new visitors, or if I want to get the attention of the blogosphere, text is still better
Now, video blogging has some great advantages. I have enjoyed watching every day Loic Lemeur's Seesmic du Jour for about a year. I think it gives more interaction. But I think the main reason why I would use video would be for on the go interviews.

For example, when you go to a fair, or a networking mixer, or some kind of event, you meet interesting people that you discuss about specific issues. Most of the time those kind of interviews are a great mine of information. I think that taping those kind of short interviews are great, and I would for sure consider recording some of the people I meet.

What do you think? Are you using videos in your blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment