Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Facebook Only for College Students?

I was reading the PC magazine issue of November 6, 2007 while an article got my attention: "My Space is not your space". This article aimed to differentiate the main online community, such as Facebook, Myspace or linkedin, and also to identify the targets of each of them.

This is the part for Facebook:"The company"s recent decision to extend beyond colleges presents graduates with a problem potentially even more destructive than underage drinking" overage Facebooking... The company has decided to expand its focus and invite users of all ages to join the fray. Bad idea. Facebook is killing the originality of its community... Social-networking sites want as many people to sign up as possible, so they can make the most money before they sell to Google or Yahoo!"

I am not agree with this position. I think that Facebook has a great value for alumni willing to keep in touch with former friends. Therefore, I am not shocked at all that 50 year old people join this community. I think that Facebook is a great way to get new contacts, friends, and there should be no limits of age. Of course it has been designed first for college students, but I know a lot of people (including me) using this tool to find some people I was friend with.

What do you think about this idea? Should Facebook be limited only to college students?

Blogged with Flock

No comments:

Post a Comment